This course is about indirect tax: specifically, the tax that is referred to in the UK and throughout this course as value added tax (VAT). The course is designed to develop your skills in preparing and submitting returns to the relevant tax authority in situations where the transactions that have to be included are relatively routine. However, some non-routine issues are also included in this course.
This course provides you with the knowledge and skills that you need to keep your employers and clients compliant with the laws and practices that apply to the indirect taxation of sales and purchases. The content is designed to ensure that you can perform these tasks relatively unsupervised, particularly in terms of routine and some non-routine VAT tasks. However, it is expected that will still require some management for more involved and intensive VAT transactions. It is important that you understand and applies the VAT rules from an ethical point of view. All VAT work must be carried out with integrity, objectivity and a high degree of professional competence. There must be due care with regard to confidentiality about any personal data being processed and, from a business protection aspect, with the correct approach to professional behaviour.
You will learn about VAT legislation and the importance of maintaining their technical knowledge through monitoring updates. You must be taught how to complete VAT returns accurately and must understand the implications of failing to do so. Inaccuracy and omission, late submission of returns and late payment or non-payment of VAT need to be understood in terms of the sanctions and penalties that are available to the relevant tax authority.
In particular, you will learn how to calculate the VAT value correctly in different circumstances, verify the calculations of the submitted return and correctly use an accounting system to extract relevant data for the return.
The VAT registration and deregistration rules are important aspects of learning at this level, and this includes the need to monitor sales closely to avoid breaching regulations. The existence and basic terms of special VAT schemes are also important.
You will learn about how to deal with errors made in previous VAT returns and how and when these errors are corrected. You will also learn about communicating VAT matters to relevant individuals and organisations, including the special rules that apply when goods and services are imported into and exported out of the UK and the European Union (EU).
1. Understand and apply VAT legislation requirements
2. Accurately complete VAT returns and submit them in a timely manner
3. Understand the implications for the business of errors, omissions and late filing and payment
4. Report VAT-related information within the organisation in accordance with regulatory and organisational requirement
We will support you every step of the way throughout your AAT learning experience with us. You can contact a tutor and get the help you need quickly and easily.
Provided by our Tutors Support team (our dedicated team of expert tutors):
• Live chat (instant response via online messenger system)
• Email (we’ll get back to you within 1 working day)
• Discussion forum (we’ll get back to you within 1 working day)
• Request a call back so you can speak to a tutor (we’ll arrange a call with you within 1 day).
Why study AAT with LGCA?
• Study anywhere, anytime on your laptop, phone or tablet through this fully online learning
• Award-winning learner management system (LMS)
• Immediate start
• Access to practice questions and mock assessments
• Topic focused learning modules, containing tutor-led bite-sized videos
• Engaging activities designed for effective online learning
• Integrated programme to guide you efficiently through the whole syllabus
Registration and Access
Once you complete an online purchase you will receive confirmation of account activation. Please allow 48 hours to get access to all the modules and for your eLearning account to be set up.
If you wish to receive an invoice instead of paying online, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . Access to the course is valid for 365 days.